Wednesday, March 31, 2010




As an artist we need to create to live, there is no other way. Creation costs money, be it paints or pencils or even the paper to write a poem on.

I have bought pre streched canvases for years and because of that I had to calculate that into my price when I sell the piece. A while ago I started looking at a cheaper way to do this, I wanted bigger pieces and odd ball shapes, like triangles, or sizes to fit in a nook somewhere.

At my hardware store, I get my paints there, I spotted a canvas dropcloth for 9 dollars, its 6 by 9 feet and kind of rough. I bought that and 7 2 by 1's as well which where 8 feet long.
That and some screws i had made me 4 nice large canvases, the largest being 3 by 3 feet.

Just Gesso the end result and sand it down a bit to get the roughness down and there just fine!, for 16 dollars I got 4 large canvases, that and paints from the mis matched isle, you can be a very productive artist and not be broke!

No comments:

Post a Comment